Monday, December 19, 2016

What is the purpose of capitalism? - Dalai Lama and Arthur Brooks


Arthur Brooks: Each of us in this room, we live chaotic lives. We have lives that are filled with task and the task sometimes overwhelms us. We rarely stop to ask the purpose of our task and the aim of the organizations of the system that induces our task possible. Well, recently we and my, my colleagues at the American Enterprise Institute we've been spending time in a place in Mumbai. It's called Dharavi. And I was spending time with a pal of mine who is an entrepreneur in Dharavi and his identify is Krishna Pujadi.

And Krishna came from a little village in Bangalore. He was poor. Krishna and I were walking around Dharavi for several hours and he told me something very interesting. Krishna told me that he was wealthy. And I looked at him by my American standards and I replied," How can he say he's wealthy? He's poor by American standards !" I replied, "What do you mean that you're wealthy? " And he replied, "I'm wealthy because I've been able to do three happens; construct something, give my living and dish other people. And that's what it means to be wealthy." And that's when I understood eventually is what His Holiness meant for the pillar of the most wonderful life which is asset. The key to true-life wealth creation for all of us is to create something, to earn our direction and to serve other people.

Dalai Lama - The Book Of Joy


That's the purpose of the free enterprise system. That's the aim of the capitalist system. If capitalism is not about construct happens and earning happens and helping others, then capitalism isn't right. And we're not doing it right. His Holiness the Dalai Lama: Money cannot furnish enjoy, we need enjoy. I often just telling the billionaire, the physical size of a belly more less same. And then finger, simply 10 thumbs. So you can acquire let's see 20, 30 reverberates, but you have only 10 to wear. So, the poor people and rich people are same. Arthur Brooks: The poor are not different than we are morally. When you look a poor person you shouldn't respond, "Oh that poor person.

I need to relieve the suffering." You should say, "That person is me." And in so doing what you're doing is you're facilitating person as you help yourself. His Holiness the Dalai Lama: I actually acknowledge you, your organization. You are establishing genuine interest in is not simply money thing but more wider view. I actually very much appreciate. Thank you. Arthur Brooks: Thank you Your Holiness. His Holiness the Dalai Lama: Through that direction, you look, you are able to stir greatest contribution for a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment